Monday, March 6, 2017

Garments: Playful Frocks

Garments: Playful Frocks




Most days I convince myself that we're having a boy, largely because when I start imagining little girl frocks I go crazy. Like hormone-crazy to the max, wondering if she'll look better in blues or reds, and how long I can keep her in cotton dresses with bloomers and leggings for all seasons.


To be clear, I genuinely don't care if we've got a little girl or a little boy on the way. A healthy baby is a blessing, my gut says it's probably a boy, and we'll be rolling the dice on gender a few more times any way, so all in all it just doesn't seem urgent. 

Besides- baby clothes are insane. The dresses above range from Old Navy and Baby Gap to Lilly Pulitzer to Janie and Jack. Yes, there are miniature clothes retailing for $100 for about a foot of fabric. Fortunately, sales and clearance exist. It was fun for me to look at all the fancy brands, then hop over to Old Navy where with a good eye you can see a few dresses in each collection that are closer to $10 and are just as cute as the pricier stuff. 

I can imagine myself being a bit more willing to invest in quality items for special occasions if I've got a few more kids of the same gender already lined up who I know will wear them. I also like the philosophy that it's better to have just a few items that work for your child, that you just love seeing them in, and just keep washing and wearing them like crazy. Regardless of price, life is too short to have clothes around that I don't love. 

When it comes to anything beyond window (or web) shopping, I'm pretty sure imposing a clothes shopping ban for pregnancy is going to be my best approach. Even with Goodwill shopping, the temptation to drop $10 here and there is too much for this hormonal lady. I really, really, don't want to find myself with 5 jackets in size 3-6 months. As the wise always say, a bargain isn't a bargain if you don't actually need it. 

So for now, I'll keep channeling all this energy into creating Polyvore boards. It's a fun little hobby, it doesn't cost a thing, and it's kind of cool to really focus on my interests and figure out which trends I can spot. That should help me figure out what's worth actually buying when it's time for that first Christmas outfit!

What do you think? Is it worth dressing up baby or are you the sleepers all day type? 


No comments:

Post a Comment