Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Decorating the Nest: Tick Tocking (without Mick Jagger...)



The one decor item in your home that is actually intended to be functional (err.. except maybe a decorative, yet useful shower curtain?) is the good old time-teller! An alien visitor would conclude that clocks hold a place of honor in most Western homes, and maybe someday we'll get lucky and they'll think we worship a 12 marked God!


Clocks are a hallmark of Neo-Victorian and steampunk design, but these days between Etsy and Pinterest you can find a clock design to fit any need. I love watches (you did read about that here, right?), but clocks are perfect because you really can justify having one in every room, which means you can choose totally different ones to match the mood of each space!

Personally, I refuse to buy a clock that doesn't have solid hourly markings. I feel like a clock without markers is intended for a person who either already knows what time it is, or doesn't even care what time it is. I am absolutely never in either camp. My soft spot for clocks is massive, so I'm pretty sure that's the only qualifier!

The ornate, gem-encrusted table clock was a feature of the gilded age and has always been loved by the wealthy. We could spend all day looking at these bad boys, but fortunately for both of us, I've always hated them! Clutter is evil, dusting is evil, and putting your clock on the wall like a normal person avoids both of those things!
No offense intended, 1753 Porcelain Mantel Clock
Wall clocks are absurdly affordable and can be found to meet any tastes. I mean they sell them for like $12.99 at Bed, Bath & Beyond these days. Note: that is not meant to imply that a self-respecting person buys home decor at BBB. 

I once had a client who decorated her wall solely with clocks all set to different, utterly random times. I felt like I was going to get an aneurism every visit, but for a certain kind of person this might be a preferred look.

For playrooms and nurseries, I really like whimsical, carved wooden faces. LeLuni's Etsy shop is the source for these, and he has dozens of other beautiful animal and nature clocks as well. 

Grandfather clocks are a significant investment, but if you're already in your forever home they could be the perfect anchor to your living room or foyer. I really respect a good cuckoo clock, but they always make me feel like I'm cheating on the delicately rounded Swedish mora clock.

In terms of city art, Prague is killing it with their golden Zodiac clock. I've always loved the little storyline from ABC's Once Upon a Time about the clock that never ticks in Storybrooke when a magic curse freezes time. That little tidbit now makes me so much more likely to notice and admire the town clocks in all the old New England centers. 
Prague's Astronomical Clock
I think we've established that I'm really, really a clock person. What about you? What kind of clocks do you have at home? One of my favorite gifts ever was a faded cream wall clock with a silhouette of the Eiffel Tower and nice antique Roman numerals that my mother bought us to match our Parisian Christmas Tree skirt one year! 

SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment