Thursday, August 18, 2016

SyFy Shout Out


As you've probably realized by now, I have a massive soft spot for the SyFy network. As in, I watch like 80% or more of their programming. Every now and again there's a show that's so bad that it isn't even fun to watch, but most of the time SyFy is a blast. My Dad has legitimately seen at least one episode of everything they air. Like... everything. He works from home and is basically retired, so don't judge!


How bad is my problem? I'm going to go ahead and give you a little snapshot of every show that I can genuinely recommend from the network. Between Netflix, Hulu, the Syfy website and Torrent, you should be able to see anything. I like to juggle endless shows depending on my mood, so I haven't finished every show yet, but I'm hard at work from my crappy futon!

Think of these Magicians as Harry and Co. drunk at Dartmouth, sometimes flying as geese in the Arctic, and always sassy as hell. 

The Expanse is a 10 part look at space colonization strife in our not too distant future!

Bitten seems debatable at first glance with one lady werewolf skipping around with half a dozen hotties, but it's actually a solid look at love as partnership and family bonds.

Oh, Haven, my first and deepest Syfy love. I would choose to live in Haven over Stars Hollow, and that basically says everything a girl can say. 

Lost Girl tends towards the messy with a weak storyline and a tenuous grip on faerie lore, but its so, so female positive that I can't help but back it. It's my go to for throwing on a background show so I can tune in for Kenzi's priceless one liners. 

Ascension is a space shocker that is.. and isn't? It's a simple six part miniseries that my Sunday TV Club is tackling starting this week! 

Killjoys has received plenty of blog space around here. In summation: space bounty hunters, assassins and brotherly love. 

Is there anyone left with a TV who hasn't seen Firefly? Just get over the Space Western with Mandarin thing and become one of the people whining about it's cancellation! 

Battlestar Galactica is inarguably the finest space odyssey in television history and earned every bit of it's acclaim. Oh, and Starbuck-Apollo is the only ship worth flying!

My latest treat, 12 Monkeys, involves time hopping and global pandemics. So cheerful! The opening five minutes is one of the most gripping kick-offs that SyFy has ever offered me! 

Need another reason to dive into SyFy? I'm not the first to point out that science fiction has always served as an area for non-traditional characters to get their due. In general, SyFy's programming shows women and men of color taking ownership over their own stories, strong, multifaceted and sex-positive women, and a respect for the very concept of differences and the perils of colonization and oppression. 

Here's a great article from the AV Club about that idea of pushing the societal envelope in science fiction. Interested in some more glimpses at SyFy programming? Check out the SyFy tag on The AV Club.

No comments:

Post a Comment