Saturday, July 9, 2016

Wardrobe Hole: Watches


On a list of my wardrobe hallmarks, oversized watches are the blue ribbon prize. I cannot overstate my belief in the power of a bold, oversized watch. Watches completely upgrade an outfit. You can get away with wandering around on the weekends hungover in a T-shirt and jeans, because once you throw the watch on it adds a level of polish. 


The most memorable gift my parents ever gave me was a DKNY mother of pearl watch on my 21st birthday. I spent months sifting through my choices that spring and ended up choosing a few for my mother to pick from. From that list, she chose this beauty. 


Once I realized what a great cost per wear investment it was, I decided adding another watch in a gold tone would be reasonable. My father-in-law very thoughtfully gave me a Michael Kors gold and green watch for Christmas because it matched my wedding colors. I rotate between the two depending on my outfit. As an aside, I have zero concerns about matching my wedding jewelry to my watches, so that's a non-factor.


I'm not really sure how other people handle numberless watches because I legitimately need to know what time it is. Which means a watch without any numerical markers just isn't going to cut it. But if I was a grown adult who could tell time properly, these are two that I would just love to have. 

Kate Spade's Champagne on the left and Going Places on the right are gorgeous yet playful. 



When it comes to watches that are a true work of art, Van Cleef & Arpels are outrageously beautiful. They're detailed, sparkly, and unexpected. From the ballerina to the dandelions to the rocket ship to the flying horse, Van Cleef makes things that no one else can. 



I don't own one because a) Holy God so much money, and b) as we've already established, it would basically be a an oversized bracelet with no timekeeping value. 

My husband has a gorgeous watch as well, but he's the kind of guy that doesn't see the point in owning multiples. Unfortunately for him, I'd still love to pick up another watch. On my radar right now is a rose gold dress watch. The Kate Spade Gramercy with the heart detailing fully meets my interest in adding a thin, rose gold dress watch to my collection. I wonder if Santa Claus is listening? 

 

What's your signature jewelry piece that you can't stay away from? Where do you like to make a big statement? 

No comments:

Post a Comment