Tuesday, August 2, 2016

#GivingTuesday: Charity Shopping


It's time to navigate the non-profit world!  I've decided to run the posts on Tuesdays under the title #GivingTuesday because I love the Giving Tuesday Campaign that encourages people to donate to their favorite charities the Tuesday after Black Friday. This tour of the non-profit world will include posts covering charity shopping, national vs. local initiatives, current trends in philanthropy, and a societal look at who gives what and when.

Today we’re going to get you started with some Charity Shopping. Charity shopping is a peculiar habit of mine that I get weirdly sucked into around 1am because it feels like a legitimate excuse to avoid going to bed.

When I say “charity shopping,” I think of it in the same vein as Rory Gilmore doing her course shopping at Yale her first year. When it comes to charities, you can find a group supporting just about anything, and it’s easy to find yourself completely obsessed with the mobile library van in a tiny Chilean mountain town or learning about the team bringing mosquito netting to an African village via bicycle. There are so many eye grabbing options out there, but after you hit that first intro course you’ll often find that what looks good on paper isn’t the right fit in practice.

There are more charities with a 501c3 rating from the IRS active today in the US than ever before, but that does not mean that they are all created equal or held to a simple pass/fail standard. That’s the main reason that I never, ever agree to round up or add a dollar at a checkout line for the charity du jour. I’ve done absolutely no vetting on that charity and have no idea if it matches my values or beliefs, so I can’t justify even thinking about contributing.

Enter smart shopping resources to let you find the right charity for you! Charity Navigator offers a bite sized, yet comprehensive snapshot of many charities that have an annual revenue of over 1 million. You can search by geographic region, mission, subcategory of non-profit, most popular this year etc., read the charity's profile, and then favorite the charities that grab your eye and sort them into your own categories on your personal profile. 

Thinking about how to get started? Here’s a look at a few of my favorite non-profits and how I stumbled across them. It's not super readable, but here's a snapshot of the charities that I like to keep an eye on, and the way's that I've summarized and subgroup them. 



We’re going to talk about this in a future post, but my personal preference is for charities offering a relatively small range of services in a specific community. I believe that non-profits that operate locally often have a better perspective on local issues, employ local citizens, and are better able to concentrate their dollars. Hopefully this gives you a sense of what’s going on with my little portfolio!

When I shop, I’m looking for 4 star rated charities. If you can’t reach a 4 star rating with Charity Navigator, then there’s always another charity that operates on a similar business model, delivering a very similar product, that is more reliable and more transparent. That’s not to say that there’s something definitively wrong with a 2 or 3 star charity, but as a general rule it works for me so I rarely make exceptions. 

One controversial topic is always overhead costs. As someone who has a lot of first-hand experience with non-profits that deliver direct service to clients, without or in lieu of any financial component, the idea that just because a non-profit pays its staff well it is somehow negligent just doesn’t ring true. A charity that is obsessed with pricey PR campaigns or constantly sending out promotional junk isn’t going to be your first choice if you want to see infrastructure being built, but a charity isn’t superior because they cut corners by paying their idealistic staff peanuts.

I like to search by service category or geographical region, and then I often drop down a few rungs from the most obvious name recognition charity to one that I’m less familiar with. I also like to combine interest areas. Some examples of how this places out for me:


Instead of supporting the Sierra Club, I look at Teton Science Schools because I believe that their model of conservation and science based education is going to reach an entire new generation of makers, doers, and actors who will be the future of conservation in the current and next generation. By supporting Teton schools, I feel like I’m combining interest areas: our national parks, conservation of wildlife and the natural land, and education of young minds.


Because the general advancement of women is important to me and I think that STEM jobs are one of the best guarantees of future economic security, I’ve got my eye on the Anita Borg Institute for Women in Technology. I like the idea of offering that extra push to help young girls become comfortable with mathematics and the sciences right at the age that they are starting to turn away from STEM. I wish someone had helped me to see that STEM could work for me when I was younger!


My Amazon Smile charity of choice is the American Indian College Fund It’s a well run, respected charity that pushes to offer Native American teens the opportunity to gain an education that they can use to better their entire community. By the way, if you’re ordering from Amazon.com please, please, please, make the fast change to www.smile.amazon.com and let a percentage of every buy benefit the charity of your choice! It’s just free money waiting to be donated!



Once you find a charity you like (and seriously does the rabbit hole get specific and weird when you get deep into shopping, or what?), don’t jump to sending money now! First, check out their website to make sure nothing jumps out at you that is a personal values conflict. Then, follow the charity on any social media that you can find and set your Facebook settings so that they appear at the top of your newsfeed.

In my case, I start every day by seeing anything new from the Island Institute, Adopt-A-Native-Elder, and Remote Area medical. I identified those three charities as my major interests this year and I’m loving following along with their current objectives, projects, clients and staff. The Adopt-A-Native-Elder Walk in Beauty campaign that gives schoolchildren new shoes breaks my entire heart!

I know that as many of us in our mid-20s start to secure more reliable incomes, we’re looking outward to helping the causes we believe in.  Finding out that your dollar didn’t reach the intended audience, or that you didn’t do enough research to learn about a political or religious conflict before donating is enough to put anyone off philanthropy.


Do you feel ready to do some charity shopping of your own to see what's out there? 
SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment