Sunday, September 11, 2016

Wardrobe Hole: Classic Coach


Note, I'm definitely not ahead of the curve on Coach coming back into fashion. The whole process began about 5-8 years ago when fashionistas and street style gurus started emphatically rebelling from the label covered bags popular at the time. In turn, prices for vintage leather Coach bags started soaring in little consignment shops, eBay and Etsy. Quality American craftsmanship was becoming hot again, and vintage Coach was receiving the recognition it had been denied for years when its tacky, nylon collections were everywhere. 


Fortunately, Coach wisened up and introduced their Legacy collection to reboot the brand by going back to their roots. Glamour took a great tour of the archives. The Wall Street Journal offered a profile of their resurgence. And on a more tragic note, you know you've taken a hit when the actual headline Is Coach Cool Again, feels completely reasonable.

Street style snapshots have made it pretty clear that Vintage Coach is back in a big way. 



Besides the Legacy throwbacks, Coach had a new release in 2014 that knocked people's socks off and starting getting some majority celebrity attention. Meet the Borough Bag. 

So, since it's my Wardrobe Hole special, now we've got to learn about my little collection. I have a giant blue Taxi bag that I never could've bought for myself (it was a going away gift from a job!) and it's served me well in its little life. I feel like it really ages me up in a good way at my current, more corporate job, yet the bright blue still feels playful and youthful. I'm grateful for that spark of blue and feel like I only get away with it because of the incredibly rich Coach leather. It makes me a happy camper, holds up well, and can fit almost anything.


My tiny, rounded little Coach bag is most definitely previously loved, and I even had to use a bit of glue to attach the fraying Coach hanging tag together. I scoured eBay for weeks to see if I could find a small bag as a Valentine's Day gift to myself that I could actually afford. And with the right amount of bidding commitment, for under $30 I had a bag headed my way! 


Currently, it neatly fits a cell phone, my Kate Spade small wallet and two epi-pens without a half inch to spare.  I've been surprised by how much I enjoy the unlined leather, and I've really bought into the idea that a gorgeous patina will set in over time. 

If you're curious about some of the other popular vintage looks, Extra Petite has an amazing review of her vintage coach purchase and made this graphic to note trending styles.

I 1,000% told myself that I was going to be done with bags now that I had the whole Cambridge Satchel, Coach mini bag, Coach work tote, and Kate Spade Wallet situation covered. Like, what else could I need right?

If only I wasn't seeing the more rectangular Pocket Purse style everywhere... I mean I almost yelled out to a girl at the airport carrying one a few weeks ago... and it comes in green and navy.. and... yep I really must resist!

The right kind of people are still brutal about Coach being a mass-market low class brand ever since the nylon era. So, I'm going a bit out on a limb here by admitting to being a fan. Are you a long-term bag girl, or are you the Target brand, love 'em and leave 'em type? 

SaveSave
SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment