Sunday, September 4, 2016

Littles: The Lion's Den

Harry Potter Nursery





Look who learned how to use the framing feature on Polyvore- woop, woop! Here we've got a really fun, Gryffindor inspired nursery. I didn't see many Harry Potter themed nurseries that I enjoyed at first because it's very hard to keep franchise themes from feeling really commercial and branded, which is the opposite of Kerry's favorite things.
I feel like this set preserves that old British vibe with the darker tones, and the intricate carvings in that woodwork. That lion edged bookcase is ah-mazing, and the entire idea of bookcases with carved out frames is very on my mind right now. Expect to see a post on those soon!

Unlike our National Parks Nursery, there are some major pieces here that are very hard to-reuse and repurpose if you change your mind about the theme. I'd recommend stripping the stain off a used wooden dresser from Craigslist if you want to go for the trunk-painted dresser. Great way to re-hab an otherwise subpar piece, and no need to mark up a fresh dresser!


The posters are a cute visual touch, and are nicely vintage travel poster-esque which we know I adore. I think it's the posters and the blanket that really solidify the theme here. That maroon and gold pairing has become synonymous with HP! And by the way, I'm not a Gryffindor nut by any means... there might be an airy Ravenclaw theme appearing before you know it! 


So what's going on with that rocking horse? I have a huge, massive, animal shaped soft spot for rocking horses, especially personalized ones. My mother and I found one at Goodwill for my nephew and she re-painted and rehabbed it into a special horse with his name on it for Christmas. There are some great Swedish Mora inspired pieces I've found, but nothing compares to this dragon piece. I know people really, really overuse this word and normally I gag when I hear it, but it honestly does feel like an heirloom piece.


This grey rocker isn't exactly sleek, but I seem to consistently read that when you've got a handful of baby or a rollicking toddler jostled against your next baby bump, you really, really don't care how the piece looks. I figure the grey is versatile and might cover up some stains. The thick padded rockers are way pricier than a typical glider, but when sleep is the rarest of commodities some pieces are worth an investment.


What do you think, friends? Are you an HP fan? Do you get that some old British vibe that I do? 


No comments:

Post a Comment