Friday, September 9, 2016

Fashion Crush Friday: Kaya Scodelario

This girl emotes like a nuclear bomb. 
The British show Skins was a massive deal a few years ago (err, more like 8 years ago?... oh my god, I'm ancient) and one of the most gripping characters was the mute, mysterious, and epically messed up little sister Effie. Played by Kaya Scodelario, she was completely captivating and ended up being the rock of the show's next generation. 


Only recently did I realize that she'd grown up, gotten married, had a baby, fallen in love with Dylan O'Brien onscreen in the Maze Runner, tragically shanked him in the back... umm yeah, actually that was unforgivable. So let's focus on her wardrobe! 

Kicking off with a bang in Valentino, she is rocking that baby bump like a boss. She normally wears really heavy shoes, so I'm grateful that she went for a delicate sandal and let this gem encrusted dress shine! It strikes me as a cape, and doesn't so much hide the bump as work around it. I love pregnant women in mini shifts, so once I saw this she was back on my radar.

She knows her Chanel, wearing it to the Scorch Trial and Heart of the Sea premiers. I really enjoy this black here, and the way she chooses slightly less common silhouettes and really heavy grounding shoes. She's actually wearing the same personal necklace in each photo, and her hair is delightfully rumpled.

The Chanel game continued when she got to Paris! Every woman that's ever modeled gets a bit haute couture in Paris, so this piece is definitely out there, but it really establishes her fashion cred. Even the best stylist in the world can't talk you into a dress like this if you don't already fundamentally like fashion and have some core understanding of designers. There's nothing sexy about it and it's a little bit weird, which tells me that in a movie where she was the only female actress to half a dozen men, she still wasn't dressing for the male gaze at this premier. 

I wanted to highlight these pieces because they strike me as a real departure from her usual look. It is very  un-Chanel! The left is a really funky neckline, and I'm extra appreciative because nothing turns me into a hideous beast like unforgiving satin. For me, it's nice to see that she's never particularly sexy and can be a bit quirky and free-spirited. The right has much more of an architectural feel with the precise contrasting hems and the thick texture. 
 

Speaking of brights, here we've got a very loose Louis Vuitton red shirt dress that pumps up with a scarlet lip and animal print heels. 
I'm always curious about street style because it generally represents an actress more realistically than the red carpet. This fox/tiger sweater is of the moment and fun, and actually reminds me of my favorite duck sweater! Maybe I'm just a sucker, but it makes her feel a bit more down to earth. 

What do you think? Is little Effy Stonem all grown up and ready to be a Fashion Crush?



2 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved Effy Stonem's character in skins, glad to see she's so chic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She really did turn out to have a heck of a lot more going on for her than I expected! Girl's got game!

    ReplyDelete