Sunday, July 3, 2016

Decorating the Nest: Dressing Rooms

Source: Aimee Song via Glamour
In one of my many fantasy lives, I live in a sunny, rambling glass house in the woods. There's plenty of space for all kinds of glorious single purpose rooms, and one of them just so happens to be a dressing room. Because in this little scenario, I have a gorgeous collection that needs to be displayed properly.

Sure, it's a fantasy and in reality I'm just a thrift shop clothes hoarder, but isn't there something almost reasonably indulgent about a dressing room? Instead of a guest room that gets used 4 times a year, or a home office where the only useful item is a desk, why not honor a ritual that you engage in at least once a day. 

Marie Kondo told us to only keep things that spark joy and if you're following that philosophy with your wardrobe, then it should make you feel joyful to see your beautiful things hung nicely and neatly on display. 

If you're a renter, you obviously can't and shouldn't invest in built ins. But this little set up below is gorgeous, and only requires a simple rolling rack with some shelving for shoes and then a bookcase for a bag display. You'd still need a wardrobe somewhere for pajamas and underthings, but I like how neatly arraigned this would be in an unused bedroom corner. 
Source: SalvageLife.Blogspot.com
But, once you're a home owner, you can hit built in city! I love the central built in in this first room, because it makes such a luxurious setting for something as simple as your socks and running clothes.

Source: Apartment Therapy
The shoe closet here is insane. There is something to be said for the argument that out of sight is out of mind, so I can see the benefit of having your shoes safely displayed and allowed to breathe. Plus, finally room for boots to stand up straight! That's one of my biggest wardrobe issues!

Source: Harper's Bazaar

All of the pinks really, really pop here, which makes sense since it belongs to the woman behind Pink Peonies. In my case, I'd imagine that all of the blues would distinctly stand out, but I like that she realized that her collection was predominately in one color family, and made her lighting fixtures and her curtains similar shades for consistency.

Source: PinkPeonies.com

In my perfect world, my dressing robe is full of luscious textures and decorated with some art deco/art nouveau prints. I really like the idea of decorating with fashion prints in the same way you'd decorate your home library with reading prints. We love doing challenging puzzles together that we find beautiful because once they're done we hang them like wall art. There's a fantastic puzzle of Mucha's Gemstones that I'd like to complete and then decorate with.

Source: Alphonse Mucha's Gemstones

Source: Lanvin 1926

Source: Romain de Tirtoff


Source: PaperFashion.net
Source: Inslee Fariss
So... we've got a tiny spare room in our new place and I might be debating making a wardrobe room. I could have beautiful rolling racks with things hanging nicely, and let the boy have the full closet in the master to himself. Because let's be clear, I'm not the only one in the family with a lot of clothes!

SaveSaveSaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment