Wednesday, June 29, 2016

What I'm Watching: June

I feel like I'm always hunting for recommendations for something new to watch, but when people ask me what I've been enjoying I just draw a total blank. I know that we're swimming in Peak TV, and that viewership has never been more fragmented. Everyones watching great stuff, but there's often little overlap. The up side is that there's always something to discover! Here's a little round up of my favorites:



WOAH. Okay, so it's in Norwegian- no, no, wait don't run away! I'm not kidding when I say that mid-binge the Norwegian feels natural. There is such beautiful nuance, and finely contained, charged performances. I recommended this one to a girlfriend who followed up to let me know that she ended up hooked and just as moved by the allure of Hans Martin "H.M." as I was.


Manhattan, now on Hulu, is blowing my mind. I really wasn't sure that it would be my thing, but it flows really, really well. It's about two rival teams of scientists attempting to create our first atomic bomb, working in complete secrecy in the South Western desert during the War. Equal attention is paid to their wives and surrounding soldiers who live trapped in Manhattan without even knowing what the project is. Plus They sold their souls to save ours is the best melodramatic tagline ever. 


Killjoys is coming back for Season 2 on July 1st and it's really not hard to get up to date. This Syfy show is focused on a trio of space bounty hunters, but it's grounded in the local politics and coming war in their 4 planet system. If you liked the Expanse, there's no reason not to be watching this little Canadian gem. 


I just watched Mudbloods on Netflix a few nights ago and it was a blast. It profiles college teams preparing for the Quidditch World Cup in New York. Watching students prep and fundraise to get to the tournament and make their HP dreams come to life on an international stage is really heartwarming. As one player says in the documentary, Quidditch was made for college.


Gorgeous? Unconsolable? American Oxygen? Yes, please. I've been loving X Ambassadors lately. I normally try not to talk music with anyone because I'm well aware that I am far from the music scene and am basically just a loser, but on the off chance that you haven't tried their stuff that hasn't hit the radio yet you should!



This one is kind of hard to explain. He's a miniature photographer who makes these lovely clever little scenes each day using household items. I love seeing him pop up on my Instagram feed @Tanaka_Tatsuya 

And that is everything that has amused me recently. Any recommendations to throw my way?


2 comments:

  1. Wow look at all this pop culture in one article. Amazing stuff. I never been more excited looking at a sponge! I love hearing your take on everything truly dripping with enthusiasm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to keep the enthusiasm to my self when there's so much great stuff out there!

      Delete