Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Nom-Noms: June

Source: My Domaine
My youngest nephew is a firm believer in good nom-noms at every.moment.of.every.day. But when you're almost 2 people love those extra fat rolls, so I'd say it's working out for him!

Pinterest is my number one source for recipes, but I feel like sometimes it's a bit of a coin flip whether something that's been pinned 2,000 times has actually been recreated by anyone or not. So, I figured it never hurts to get a recommendation from a friend.


What we've been eating and loving lately:

My actual loaf!
This Mediterranean Olive Bread from Olivia's Cuisine is ah-mazing. Seriously. I let it rise for about 15 hours covered in the pantry, and when I baked it the next morning the entire house smelled yeasty and olive-y and kind of exotic. I've been trying to get more into breads and this one is really simple with only 5 ingredients. I used oil cured black olives instead of the Kalamata in the recipe, but I'm thinking either would work fine.

I made Paleo Tomato Basil Soup from the Primal Palate last night which was a new experience! It was really, really flavorful, but took more time than expected to prep and didn't end up as thick or creamy. I also threw some cooked brown rice in at the end after I used my immersion blender because it was our main course and I wanted to make it a bit heartier. I'd still say it's a make again, but not at a time when it matters exactly when dinner hits the table. 

We've made this Feta & Herb Crusted Salmon from the Laughing Spatula probably five times in the past few months, and definitely whenever salmon fillets are on sale. I'm not a natural fish lover, so I need my fish to have some other flavors going on. The feta and herbs on this salmon make it totally decadent, and I love that it really only takes about 5 minutes to chop and throw together on top of the salmon. 

Easy Cheesy Zucchini Bake from Kalyn's Kitchen does not sound like TV watching food, but it worked great for my crowd. I watch Game of Thrones with a cast of about a dozen friends each Sunday and the girls all try to coordinate to bring different dishes. The masses complained about too many sweets, so I figured I'd make a real course and see how it went. I ended up with two servings left over that I easily finished the next day. It's the perfect summer recipe when zucchini and squash are dirt cheap. 

I should be embarrassed that I ever needed this recipe in the first place, but Quick and Easy Homemade Meatballs from Yellow Bliss Road was an actual life saver. I'm just not familiar with some of the most basic recipes, and these were flavorful and made a nice big batch. I've made them twice now, and in the second batch I made sure to freeze some for later and they defrosted well. One tip, make sure you get ground beef that has less fat. I used 85% in one batch and found that they were a little fatty around the edges. 

This Japanese Green Tea Cheesecake from Grandma Juice was a bit of an obsession for me a few months ago. One tip, don't rush putting the lid on and getting it into the fridge. I semi-ruined my last one by not leaving enough time for it to cool completely on the rack before moving it  to the fridge. However, it's cheesecake which is always delicious and the green tea powder is a really subtle twist on the flavor. Green tea powder ended up being way more expensive than I had anticipated, plus when I added it to cookies it was awful, so I'd recommend bargain shopping on Amazon. 

And that's what I've been eating lately! Any recommendations from anyone else? As a reminder, none of these recipes are my own and the photos (except the olive loaf) are from the recipe pages. Just click on the dish name to be taken straight to the recipe!


SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

5 comments:

  1. Def trying the green tea cheesecake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Def trying the green tea cheesecake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Highly recommended! And it only takes a few tablespoons per cheesecake, so you can get a couple cheesecakes out of one green tea powder packet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a coincidence I have tried every single one of these dishes. I can quite sincerely say these are delicious. Especially the Green Tea Cheesecake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite the coincidence indeed! It's one heck of a cheesecake!

      Delete