Monday, June 27, 2016

Decorating the Nest: Dining by the Dozen


I have been utterly obsessed with the above photo of a massive raw edged dining room table since I first saw it. This is my Holy Grail of tables.


My husband has two large families, my extended family grows by the year, and we're hoping for a swarm of littles. So when I think of family dining, I think of an endless need for seats. Growing up, my family always ate together in the dining room. We didn't eat separately on different schedules, and we definitely didn't eat in front of the TV. 

I'm a big fan of making dinner a semi-formal, deliberate occasion. It's the perfect transition from the outside world to family life as you bring everyone back together, check in on their days, and enjoy the meal as a unit. Dining rooms are falling out of fashion in a lot of homes, but in my family we're still huge fans.

When it comes to the center piece itself, I think the beauty of a big table is that it never seems like anyone is a last minute tagalong. A big table says that you're intending to host a big crowd, and that that big crowd isn't just a welcome after thought but is a deliberate choice.

Plus, they're seriously showstoppers. Let's take a look at some ones I've been enjoying!

If you love the raw edge look above and want something with some more detailing, this is just mind blowing. A furniture maker named Greg Klaassen works hand-cut glass pieces into the centers of coffee tables and dining room tables to imitate rivers. 



One unique idea if you're short on floor space is to give yourself a square for 12. I like the way this has a similar effect to a round table in terms of bringing the sides together and encouraging better flow of conversation between distant seats. 

In terms of the decor coming together, here the swooping lines of the multi light chandelier and the Eames chairs are balanced out by the rigid simplicity of this table for twelve. The table feels very grounded and anchored by the thick bases, but scrollwork or carvings would've made the curves in the chairs and chandelier feel out of place. 


This one is more rugged and industrial with the combo of wood and metal piping. The metal piping in the base makes the heavy tabletop seem a big lighter and less old fashioned. 

More interested in a glam vibe? Black and marble are a bold choice, but a marble table feels like it would never get dated or trendy. I love the way this marble pops against the herringbone floor!


I know that this is a restaurant, but isn't there something about the scarred, banged up old table that makes you feel like it's been well loved? In a staged home, the marble above certainly elevates the dining room to a more formal mood and is beautiful all on its own. But when I imagine an overflowing Thanksgiving, I can easily picture our endless family at a supremely beat up wooden table top that's literally covered and dented in memories.

Would you ever consider a massive table? Hope you all get a chance to dine with someone you love this evening :)


No comments:

Post a Comment